Holiday Let Rules & Regulations in St Andrews and the East Neuk

Holiday let rules and regulations aren’t fun, but it’s important you get a rough idea of what’s ahead of you before making an investment. As a self catering holiday let management company, we make sure all of our holiday homes comply with local regulations.

This is by far the easiest way to take care of everything. That being said, it’s still worth knowing what you should keep an eye on so you can plan your expenses.


Are you compliant with the Short Term Let Regulations in Fife?

Fife Council, as directed by the Scottish Government have published their regulatory plan to licence holiday let operators in Fife. This means that all holiday let operators in Fife require a license to operate after the 1st October 2022.

Our multidisciplinary in house holiday let management team, supported by a strong network of specialist contractors means you are in the safest hands when the time comes to apply for your Short Term Lets licence from Fife Council.

Fife council holiday lets

What are the Holiday Let Mandatory Conditions?

Fire regulations for holiday lets

Your property must have satisfactory equipment installed for detecting, and for giving warning of fire, suspected fire, and the presence of carbon monoxide. Upholstered furnishings and mattresses must comply with the 1998 Fire Safety Regulations.

Gas Safety

If your property has a gas supply you must have a Gas Safety Certificate and arrange annual inspections thereafter. Any defects must be attended to immediately.

Electrical Safety

You must ensure your electrical fittings and items are in a reasonable state of repair and in proper and safe working order. You must ensure all portable electrical items are tested annually (PAT Test) and that an Electrical Installation Condition (EICR) Report is valid within every 5 year period.

Water Safety

You must ensure that a risk assessment is carried out to prevent the risk from legionella within your property.

Safety and Repairs Standards

You must ensure your property is safe for residential use and that any defects are attending to as soon as possible.


You must ensure that your property is covered by appropriate valid holiday let insurance and is covered by a valid public liability insurance policy.

Maximum Occupancy

You must ensure that the number of guests residing in the property doesn't exceed the number of guests specified on the licence.

Information Display

You must display the following information in your property: a certified copy of your licence; fire, gas and electrical safety information; details of how to summon emergency services; your gas safety report, EICR and PAT Report.

Holiday let rules & regulations in detail

These are the five most important holiday home regulations to consider:

Holiday homes are taxed differently

This will be the first regulation you encounter when buying the property. Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT – the Scottish equivalent of stamp duty) kicks in for any properties over £40,000 if this is your second home. Even if you are buying to let out as a holiday home for most of the year, it’s still classed as a second home. You’re also taxed on the full amount.

Beyond this initial hit, tax differences can vary across the board. The good news is that many local authorities offer a 10-50% reduction on council tax for holiday homes. Holiday home tax regulations can change on a regular basis, however, so it’s important to keep an eye out.

Building standards regulations for holiday homes

This is less of a problem if you’ve bought a newly renovated property that’s ready to go – but those are few and far between. Chances are you’ll need to work on to the building before you can list it.

Always get a survey done before you commit to buying – at least then you know what you’re in for. Consider a property that already has planning permission. This will cost you a little more, but save you a lot of pain further down the line.

Generally, standards for holiday homes are about the same as standards for regular property rentals. Holiday home building standards regulations are there to keep your guests safe. You’ll also get better reviews for a high quality product. Get our holiday home refurbishment ideas here.

If you’re buying in a historic neighbourhood, double check what you can do. Double glazing, unfortunately, isn’t always allowed.

Holiday home energy regulations

5 light bulbs on a blue background referencing holiday home energy regulations

Speaking of double glazing – you need to make sure your holiday home is energy efficient. Holiday home regulations require all properties to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). You’re fined up to £200 per day for not having one, so make sure it is taken care of quickly.

Use this holiday home regulation to your advantage! More efficient homes are both cheaper to run and ensure a more comfortable stay. Insulation, double glazing (when allowed) and energy efficient appliances all contribute to a cosy home. Make sure your property is up to standards – it’s a win-win!

Insurance for your holiday home

Insuring your property is a must for security purposes, but there are also a few holiday home regulations that require it. If you employ staff, you need to buy employers’ liability insurance. This protects you and your staff in the event of accidents.

If you don’t employ anyone there isn’t a legally required insurance, but best practice includes limited liability insurance. This protects you and your guests in the event of an accident that occurs during their stay.

On top of this, we would also recommend some form of property and contents insurance so you’re not caught off-guard.

The small stuff

2 firemen putting out a fire, avoid this situation by keeping up to date with fire regulations for holiday lets

When we say small stuff we don’t mean these aren’t important – but they’re often overlooked.

Fire regulations for holiday lets

When it comes to fire regulations for holiday lets everyone knows about the legal requirement for a fire alarm – but you also need to make sure furniture is fire retardant.

Holiday home regulations require mean all soft furnishings must comply with fire resistance standards. Your larger appliances (and extras, like hot tubs) should also be both energy and fire safe.

Tv licence

You also have to buy a TV licence if you have a TV in your property! There’s a special Hotel and Mobile Televisions Licence, as your guests are not covered by their own whilst visiting your property. Beyond this, holiday home regulations also require you to take accessibility, childrens’ safety and data protection into account when setting up a home and communicating with guests.

These are just some of the requirements. We recommend signing up to local organisations that regularly update advice. The ASSC have been invaluable during the ever changing regulations of 2020. They’re totally worth keeping up with if your holiday home is based in Scotland. Of course, the best way to make sure you don’t sweat the small stuff is to let a property management company take care of it for you.

Short Stay St Andrews are experienced in all aspects of holiday let management – including sourcing, refurbishment and guest turnovers. With over 1000 5-star reviews, we have years of experience behind us. We’re also based right in the heart of St Andrews, so we know the local holiday home market like the back of our hand. Get in touch to find out more about how we can help you.

Our AirBnB Made Simple management will make letting your property hassle free.

Find out how to choose the best holiday let management in Scotland.

do you require assistance applying for a licence?

Let us do all the hard work for you

At St Andrews Property Co we have several years experience in the Fife holiday let market. We have a full range of contractors at our disposal to attend to any of your requirements to help with your holiday let application. Don’t hesitate to get in touch today to see how we can help you.

Where to find us

Listing across multiple platforms

You are in safe hands

We are accredited